To celebrate the International Archives Day, the National Archives of Finland will hold the Scanathon event for 25 researchers and representatives of memory organisations on Friday 8 June 2018 . The event will be arranged by the READ project in cooperation with the National Archives of the UK and Switzerland.
During the day, participants can browse through interesting material, as well as digitise and process various material, using the Trasnkribus platform developed in the READ project. At the event, material will be scanned using Scantent digitisation tents and the DocScan mobile app. Once material has been scanned, it can be transcribed and automatically recognised using the Transkribus platform.
Material on display at the event:
- Copy of the Wrede family's books from the 17th century
- Diary of Jakob Immenius from the late 17th century and early 18th century
- Documents presenting festivities and rules of Amore Proxim, a secret society based in Loviisa, from the late 18th century
- Travel notes from gold exploration campaigns of members of the Department of Mines from the 19th century
- Letters of Sulo Jamalainen, a schoolboy from Vyborg, from 1914–1916